14‏/05‏/2012

Abstract of my talk on Wittgenstein






Private Language Argument and Rule-Following According to Wittgenstein and his Interpreters 

Abstract

I intend to join in my paper the debate around Wittgenstein’s private language argument and its relation to the problem of rule-following. In this paper, I will discuss the difficulties and puzzles that have arisen from the organization and the style of the Philosophical Investigations. I have turned to the ‘skeptical’ interpretation proposed by Saul Kripke (1982), reactions to this interpretation by many philosophers, and I will defend the Kripke’s interpretation, not as a correct or an exact interpretation, but as a relevant one to the current debate in Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science about the nature of mind and how it works.


I will make some remarks on private language as it was conceived by some Arab traditional thinkers (Al Qarafi Shihab Edin, particularly in his analysis of the way different persons talk about the same qualia or the same phenomenal experiences). I will also indicate the great importance of the recent translation of Wittgenstein’s Philosophical Investigations, from German to Arabic, for the philosophical and linguistic debate in the contemporary Arab World.

ليست هناك تعليقات: